Subject: magma support of dial-out devices?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/03/2003 16:46:58
Does the NetBSD/sparc driver for the MAGMA SBUS serial cards support
dial-out devices?  (NetBSD/sparc 1.6P snapshot)

The magma(4) man page says this support is still on the "TO DO" list,
but reading through the source makes it appear that the support is
present.

Naturally, the /dev/MAKEDEV script does not include code to make these
devices, as the tty-vs.-dty select bit in the device minor number is
vastly different from the "system standard".

By way of experiment, I manually created appropriate 'dty' devices with
the MAGMA-style dial-out bit set in the minor number and it seems to
work, at least with 'tip'.

Did I just get lucky, or does this mean the magma(4) man page is in need
of updating?  (/dev/MAKEDEV script?)

I've been anxious to use an SS5 running NetBSD/sparc as the NAT/firewall
for my home network, but since my outside connection is dial-up, I need
the MAGMA card and dial-out capable driver to run a 56k modem.

(Due to uncertainty of the above and prior problems with magma support
on SS5, I've been using Solaris 8 with custom-built IPFilter.  I've
recently become aware of behavior of that system I'd like to eliminate
and the only way to do that is replace Solaris with NetBSD.)

Thanks.

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                      jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com
  http(colon slash slash)mylinuxisp(dot)com(slash tilde)jdbaker(slash)