Subject: Re: 24bit display problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/2003 23:04:15
> I managed to acquire S24 24-bit color frame buffer to my SS5.
> However I did not succeed in making it work in 24-bit mode, only
> 8-bit.

> What should I do to make it work?

For what values of "work"?

For text-console use, you probably don't want 24-bit; it would be slow.
(Unless someone makes RASTERCONSOLE use the blit acceleration.  I'll be
happy to play resource person for anyone interested in doing so.)

For X, it's comparatively simple to make it work with Xsun24.  However,
that is slow; it's roughly 1/4 the speed of unaccelerated 8-bit Xsun
(it's shipping four times as many bits back and forth when doing
copies).  The S24 hardware does support multiple depths on the screen
at once, and I built an X server that does so.  I think jdc was working
on integrating this into NetBSD's xsrc, but recently (2003-07-23) wrote
to the list

   I haven't managed to look at it for a while.  It needs updating for
   XF4.3.  It's still at the point where the cg14 works in 24-bit mode
   when used as a second framebuffer but not when it's the console.
   I'm not sure that I'll have a chance to work on it for a couple of
   months or so.

I don't know how this relates to the _S24_ support integration; I note
only the cg14 was specifically mentioned above - but the biggest issue
I had was with coaxing the sample server into using 8bpp and 24bpp on
the same screen, and the way I addressed that can be shared almost
completely between the S24 and the cg14.

If anyone is interested in trying to beat jdc to it :-), or just wants
to use my server, I'll be happy to pass out more copies of what I've
done.  (I worked with Consortium X rather than NetBSD xsrc, and I built
a separate Xs24 rather than rolling it into Xsun or Xsun24.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign