Subject: Mounting / as readwrite after install
From: Jesse Sayre <sayre17833@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/23/2003 02:22:13
I'm new at some of this stuff so please bare with me if I've made a stupid
newbie mistake.
Have a SS5 (110Mhz, 64Mbytes RAM, 9.1Gbytes 10K Compaq HDD) and I've been
working on getting NetBSD 1.6 on it.  I partitioned the disk out / =
256Mbytes, swap = 128Mbytes, /usr = remander of HDD (I have since played
some with different ways of partitioning the disk but this was the most
ideal way I would like it to be).  After Install I configured rc.conf to
my liking (simply added hostname info, gateway info, and ifconfig info)
and I also made sure to change rc_configured=YES.  When I rebooted it
booted up fine, but mounted / as readonly.  /usr was mounted as rw though
and I checked the contents of /etc/fstab ('/dev/sd0a / ffs rw 1 1') and it
looked fine.  So my problem is that I need / to mount as rw.  It is in
muiltyuser mode because I can login as root but afterwards really cant do
anything since / is readonly.  I would like to find a solution that
doesn't mean I have to change or remount / everytime I boot but something
that will last.  If I've negleted to add some info here please tell me.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks all.

-Jesse