Subject: Re: Frustrating 1.6 and on on late model sun4m machines.... why?
To: None <>
From: Brad Spencer <>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/2003 13:44:09
   On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:52:33PM -0400, wrote:
   > be a cdrom error (cd0: esp0: timed out, ) followed by a  bus error
   > (esp0: invalid state: 6)

   Could you capture the kernel output when probing your esp0, the scsibuses and
   devices and post it here?

I have the same problem with a Sun4m and 1.6.1 and a particular hard
drive.  I ended up disabling disconnect/reselect and synchronous
negotiation for its SCSI target in the kernel with:

esp0    at dma0 flags 0x0303

I was not able to work on this any more, but I wondered if it wasn't due
to a firmware "strangeness" in the drive, as another drive on the same
machine didn't have this problem.  The drive in question probes as:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <UNISYS, U1545 ST12550N, 2809> SCSI2 0/direct fixed

This is really a rebadged, refurbed Seagate.  The same drive, but one
probing as a true Seagate, didn't have this problem [as best as I can
remember].  This drive did work in an IPX without any trouble, however.

Brad Spencer - -- KC8VKS  - & - [IPv6 only]
[finger for PGP public key]