Subject: Re: SPARCstation 1+ installation
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/18/2003 10:54:35
Hello,

  MRG> have people tried -current in the past couple of
     > weeks for the sun4c-cache problem?  i thought a fix
     > went in....?

A fix for the flaw, or a fix for the fix for the flaw?  >:-)

  PK> In fact, it wasn't a cache flush problem after all,
    > but a race condition in the MMU management code.

So was there a hardware flaw at all?

  PK> Also, it affected all sun4c machines and has been
    > present in all previous NetBSD/sparc releases. It just
    > happened to get uncovered more often by the greater
    > demands on MMU resources by the VM system, especially
    > on the smallest of sun4c machines (SS1, SLC, IPC).

It sounds as though whoever resolved the problem improves
life for all sun4c users.

  JM> Excellent!

  HN> Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

I'll second both of those!  :-)

  PK> Other MMU resouce management related problems may
    > still surface on these machines, such as the "all
    > pmegs are gone" panic that has been reported several
    > times already.

If I manage to get a system installed, I'll certainly keep
an eye out for those.  I'm not sure whether to try 1.5.3 or
to wait for 1.6.2. Perhaps I should try -current for a while
to help test things?

- Andy Ball