Subject: Re: SPARCstation 1+ installation
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/17/2003 21:14:26
> Still, I would like to bring the thing up, at least for a while.

Should be workable.  I ran affected machines for years with only the
occasional (no more than daily) crash - though that was under pre-1.5
kernels; I've seen it said that the bug strikes significantly more
often under post-UBC kernels.

> Do I understand correctly that the cache (& MMU?) problem we're
> discussing is a hardware flaw, and that the performance hit is is
> from code intended to work-around that hardware flaw?

That's my understanding, but I certainly could be wrong.  I don't
entirely understand what the issue is.

> Do all sun4c machines suffer from this?

No, only those with software-flush caches.  SS1, SS1+, SLC, IPC, maybe
ELC.  The IPX and the SS2 do not suffer from it.  Other machines I'm
not sure; I tend to forget which are sun4c and which are sun4m now that
I'm running NetBSD rather than SunOS. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign