Subject: Re: SPARCstation 1+ installation
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/17/2003 08:43:29
Hello Beaker,

  B> Don't know if this helps, but I had a JAZ drive that I
   > couldn't mount until I installed a disklabel on it...

At first I tried putting the files on an existing FAT
partition.  I may try that again at the weekend because once
the machine is up, reading FAT Zip disks is something that I
am likely to do quite frequently.

On the i386 box that I used to write the files, the single
FAT partition appears as sd1h.  That may become sd1c on the
SPARCstation (thanks Martin ;-)  Is this a characteristic of
a 'fictitious disklabel'?

After that, I tried putting a disklabel and ffs on the Zip
disk.  There's a good chance that I got it wrong because I
was making things up as I went along.

I had more success when I tried using the Zip disk as though
it were a tape. Sysinst gets as far as making filesystems on
the SPARCstation's hard disk. After Sysinst throws its hands
in the air, I can mount sd0g and untar the sets from the Zip
disk.  So far I have not been able to persuade Sysinst to
install from those sets though.

- Andy Ball.