Subject: Re: installation questions
To: Robert DiRosario <robert_dirosario@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/21/2003 16:43:10
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 03:42:03PM -0700, Robert DiRosario wrote:
> I'm trying to install 1.6.1 on a 170 Mhz (Turbo) SS5
> and I want to use two disks.  I want root and swap on
> the boot disk and /usr on a second disk.  The

The NetBSD installer doesn't know how to use multiple disks yet.

> installation program only wants to work with one disk.
>  Should I just install /usr on the root partition and
> then just cp -R it to then second disk or is there
> some way to get the installation program to put /usr
> on the second disk?   I assume there aren?t any
> "special" files under /usr that cp would have problems
> with.  (My boot CD is the sparc only ISO image for
> 1.6.1 from one of the mirror sites.)

cp -R may not be the best tool for this (it may loose some
attributes), better use find+cpio, or pax -rw -p

> Late last night (very late) when I tried to install on
> a single disk I got some error message like ?boot
> block % block size != 0? or something like that.  (Due
> to the very late hour I don?t recall the exact
> message!)  Do I need to write a BSD disk label before
> I try to install NetBSD?  (It?s a Seagate disk with
> Seagate microcode.  I do have a Seagate disk with Sun
> microcode that I could use, but my RH Linux 6.2 SS20
> boots just fine from a Seagate drive.)

Maybe it's confused by what's already on the disk. Maybe try
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c count=100
before installing, to start from a clean, empty disk.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>