Subject: Re: First Boot fails!
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/2003 13:59:25
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, der Mouse wrote:

> > [...success with IPCs...]
> > Are there hardware/software factors that might be affecting the
> > stability (other than I don't push them to the limit)?
>
> Based on my own experiences, I suspect that your IPCs are not paging to
> any significant extent, and that this is relevant.  (Every crash I've
> had that I can ascribe to this has been at a time when paging either
> definitely was occurring or plausibly might have been.)
>
> This is however just a suspicion, on both counts.

	Someone had a 'sledgehammer' patch which added explicit cache
	flushes to various places which seemed to almost eliminate the
	effect (at some significant performance reduction). Would it
	be possible to test adding such flushes to various points in
	the paging code?

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --