Subject: Re: First Boot fails!
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/2003 09:37:45
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:57:58PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:47:29PM -0400, Andrew Obusek wrote:
> > So I should install teh latest 1.5 release to get it to work on my SS1+?
[...]
> Really, it depends on what you want to do. My ADSL router has been an IPC

Yes, I would have liked to have gone to 1.6.1, but I was looking for "rock
solid" stability, _never_ an unexplained crash, so I took the 1.5 release
route.

I'm in the process (takes a long time since I have little spare time) of
updating my dedicated name servers to bind-9.2.2.  I have three IPCs with
with 12MB memory and 500-560MB hdds which I like to use for the job.  (Now
they run bind-8.3, for about two years without problem, only stopping to
upgrade bind.)

I put NetBSD 1.5.3/sparc (since I couldn't find "1.5.4") on the machines.
Just this weekend I finished all the compiling using the native compiler
egcs-1.1.2 release (perl, flex, gawk, bison, OpenSSL 0.9.7b, bind).  I got
one core dump when compiling openssl, but other than that the configuration
and compiling was flawless out-of-the-box.

I'll report on the stability after running named for at least three months.
The machines will also be running sshd and dhcpd (so not really "dedicated",
but almost).

If anyone is more adventurous and goes the 1.6 release route on an IPC, it
would be nice to get your feedback.  TIA

henry nelson