Subject: Re: sparc GENERIC and NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM versus NFS_BOOT_DHCP
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/09/2003 03:15:27
On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 11:56:44AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> That is a bogus argument; if you can edit /etc/bootparams you can edit
> /etc/dhcpd.conf, and the documentation and diagnostic information
> available to install and debug dhcpd is FAR better than that which is
> avilable for NetBSD's bootparamd.

This isn't true if the DHCP server is being run by an effectively
hostile 3rd party. This isn't a common case, though. I /did/ find the
failure to fall back to bootparam if the DHCP information isn't useful
irritating - perhaps if the TFTP server doesn't answer, bootparam should
be tried instead?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org