Subject: Re: Problem netbooting an Sparc Station 2
To: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Derek=20McCallum?= <derek_mccallum@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/27/2003 10:00:48
Laurent
I recall having to get through over a number of
hurdles net installing onto my SS20s. Note that my
boot server was Linux, but I'll list them all here:

1. Ensure 10mb connection
The old bootproms dont handle 100mb even if you go out
through a 100mb hme, bm or similar, and don't assume
an auto-negotiating hub will be ok - it won't work 9
out of 10 times I've observed. Either use a 10mb hub
or hardwire your cisco or whatever to 10/half...

2. Is RARP running?
There process under Linux should look something like
/sbin/rarpd
Also ensure your /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts file are
populated.

3. Is rpc.bootparamd running?
This looks like where yours is having trouble.
Is the process rpc.bootparamd runing and is your
/etc/bootparams file populated with and entry for the
given host to direct it to an NFS share where it will
find the bsd source. The example below for the host I
am building, 'epsilon' (as per /etc/ethers & hosts),
where 'root' equals the address of the install server
and the NFS share with the source.

epsilon root=192.168.0.2:/home/build/netbsd/1.6

Hope this helps
Derek

Hello,