Subject: Problem with TurboGX+ (cgsix) card in SparcStation 1+
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/26/2003 21:38:52
I have a SparcStation 1+ running NetBSD.  On a whim, I recently picked up a
TurboGX+ card in an ebay auction ($14 with shipping), and it's having a
disagreement with NetBSD.

After getting the card, I found out that it wouldn't work with the OpenBoot
version 1 ROMs in these older machines.  Fine.  I ordered a surplus ROM
upgrade kit (Sun P/N 525-1208), and the machine now has OpenBoot 2.  (More
civilized anyway, and closer to Open Firmware, which I'm used to dealing
with.)

The firmware monitor now works with the card (at multiple resolutions,
even), but I can't get NetBSD to boot when using it as the console.  The
boot loader does its thing, but just before the first line of the copyright
banner (after the "OBP version..." line) the video blanks momentarially.
When it comes back, the screen is all white and the boot goes no further.

If I have both the new card and the old one (bwtwo) installed and output set
to the other card, it boots fine and probes as:

NetBSD 1.6 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Sep  9 08:27:06 UTC 2002

autobuild@tgm.daemon.org:/autobuild/sparc/OBJ/autobuild/src/sys/arch/sparc/c
ompile/GENERIC
total memory = 40544 KB
avail memory = 35868 KB
using 128 buffers containing 512 KB of memory
bootpath: /sbus@1,f8000000/esp@0,800000/sd@0,0
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,Sun 4/65
cpu0 at mainbus0: MB86900/1A or L64801 @ 25 MHz, WTL3170/2 FPU
cpu0: 64K byte write-through, 16 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled
[...]
bwtwo0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 7: SUNW,501-1455, 1152 x 900
(console)
bwtwo0: attached to /dev/fb
cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0 level 7: SUNW,501-2253, 1152 x 900, rev 11
cgsix0: /dev/fb already full
boot
[...]

Any ideas?