Subject: Re: hd partitioning question (newbie)
To: Maurizio Caloro <mauric@active.ch>
From: Francis Devereux <francis@devrx.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/28/2003 09:47:22
> From: Maurizio Caloro <mauric@active.ch>
>
> hello @all
>
> i am installing netbsd on my sparc classic (yehhh)
> and i am not shure to make my partitions (iam a newbie),
>
> >> We now have your BSD-disklabel partitions as (Size and Offset in MB):
> >>
> >   Size      Offset    End       FStype Bsize Fsize Preserve Mountpoint
> >>    --------- --------- --------- ------ ----- ----- --------
> >> a: 32        0         31        4.2BSD 8192  1024  No       /
> >> b: 160       32        192       swap
> >> c: 2076      0         2075      unused
> >> g: 1883      193       2075      4.2BSD 8192  1024  No       /usr
>
> also root its
>
> 	root 	=	32Mb

This may be too small, especially if you don't have a seperate /var and/or
/tmp partition.

> 	swap     =>	160Mb	(i have 2*ram)

Should be OK.

> 	unused =>           ?????         (how mutch its unused, it is
          1megabyte ???)

On sparc, partition c is the "whole disk" partition which covers the whole
disk, and does not have a filesystem on.  It looks like partition c is
correctly set up in your partition table above.

> 	usr          =>           1883Mb     (for example /var, /home its
> 			                an other partition ???
> 			                i need to create ???
> 			                or its the same as /usr
> 			                i am not shure that i have
> 			               enough space on this settings ???)

It's up to you whether you have /var and /home on seperate partitions.  If
you don't have a seperate /home partition you can symlink /usr/home to /home.

Francis