Subject: Re: What's up with sparc SMP?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/21/2003 22:15:56
On 21.03.03, 16:03:26, Bill Meahan wrote:
> I notice none of the release candidates for sparc-1.6.1 include SMP
> support: no GENERIC-MP kernel and a note that "SMP is not supported on
> sun4m" in the INSTALL document. I also note the last NetBSD-daily build
> is about a month old and IIRC my attempts to use it on an SS20 were

In my universe the latest daily build of the 1-6 branch for sparc
is from yesterday, i. e. 2003-03-20. Try
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200303200000/sparc/

-current builds are less frequent right now, I think most machines are
commited to building 1.6.1 release candidates.

> unsuccessful.

Btw, -current runs fine with SMP on my SS20 (dual SuperSPARC-II, 75MHz).

> Whazzup?

Easy enough. 2.0 will be the first release to include SMP on any
architecture.

Such major features are never introduced in minor releases, i. e.
between 1.6 and 1.6.1. Those are only patch releases, that contain
mostly bugfixes and occasionally some new, well-tested drivers.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - more is more.
		-- Julian Assange