Subject: Re: Booting problems
To: Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/20/2003 22:07:17
> I've reinstalled twice now, and I'm still having the same problems.
> (This is on a SPARCStation 20)  The OS appears to install fine, the
> system reboots, and I run "boot disk1:a", it appears to load since I
> get ">> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.12"...."Booting
> netbsd", then "open netbsd: No such file or directory".  Then it just
> dumps me to a prompt.

Well, it may seem like a bit of a "doh!" comment, but, are you sure
you've got a kernel in "netbsd" in the relevant disk partition?  (If
you're not sure, boot off your install media and get a shell - I think
in sysinst it's on the utilities menu - and mount the filesystem and
check.)

I have a fuzzy memory of someone saying that installs didn't install a
kernel if you weren't careful to make it do so, but I'm not sure what
architecture that was for, and I'm not sure it wasn't fixed anyway.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign