Subject: Re: Problems with booting up in general
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/17/2003 00:39:35
>> You mean (id << 3) + lun, I presume...
> Nup - all the machines I have ever dealt with I could say sd(0,n,0)
> where n is the scsi id [...]

My memory, fuzzy though it may be, says that the (id<<3)+lun formula
was used in the Sun-3 world, whereas with the Sun-4 they decided to
stop bothering with LUNs.  (Though it occurs to me as I write this that
they could have switched to (lun<<3)+id for all I know; it would be not
much more code, would preserve the capability, and would gain the
benefit they presumably wanted of having the ID readily visible in the
common case of LUN=0.)

Sometime later they dropped the %c%c(%d,%d,%d) syntax (well, it was
%c%c(%x,%x,%x) in the Sun-3 world, maybe the Sun-4 world too).  I
conjecture that this happened about the same time they started calling
them SPARCstations and SPARCservers instead of Sun-4s, but I don't know
enough of the history to more than conjecture.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign