Subject: Re: OT: SS20 video RAM source?
To: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
From: None <jodys@helluin.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/2003 23:57:02
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:48:16PM -0800, Jon Buller wrote:
> I'm starting to get more and more annoyed with the 8bpp video coming
> out of the cg6 I have in my SS20.  I hear that if I can find some
> "special" memory for the double slotted RAM locations, I can end
> up with an onboard cg14 that does 24bpp.

Indeed, they come in two varieties, one 4MB and one 8MB. The only
effective difference is that the 8MB can do 1600x1200 in 24bit, the
4MB one is limited to 1280x1024 at 24bit.

> Anyone done that?  Does X work?  Work well?  And where can I find
> these magic little doodads?  EBay doesn't seem to have any at the
> moment.  I did find a memory vendor or two that would sell me new
> 64MB memory sticks, but I suspect that is not exactly useful, as
> I already have some of those...

I tried it under Linux about 8 months ago using the Xsun24 server,
and it was slow, very slow, I definitely couldn't deal with it day to
day. As I understand it there has been some recent work on the cg14
and tcx framebuffers that has been mentioned on the list, but I doubt
that they are really optimized, YMMV. Under Solaris, the framebuffer is
usuable, but nothing to write home about. They come up on Ebay every
so often. memoryx.net has some apparently but they're far to expensive.
If you want a 4MB one, I've got one I don't need and could sell, contact
me offlist.

Jody