Subject: Re: default install from CD
To: Gene Buckle <geneb@deltasoft.com>
From: Paul Helfenstein <paulhelf@twcny.rr.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/19/2003 18:32:12
Howdy Gene:

Sorry for the delay... I had to wait until the end of my workday to retrace
my installation notes.

1)  After burning the bootable 1.6 iso image, I attached a CDROM device (I
believe set to SCSI ID 6)
and attached a console to the serial port.

2) After powering on,and putting the CD in the CDROM drive, from the serial
console and at the prom prompt,
I booted the CDROM ("boot cdrom" on the IPX).

3) When NetBSD booted from CDROM and started the install menu, I selected
the option to install from CDROM
and used the default cdrom device when it was asked for.

4) I followed the normal install procedure for partitioning the disk and
installing NetBSD 1.6.   Since the
kernel was not automatically loaded I was, of course, unable to boot the
installation from disk.

5) I rebooted from the CDROM a second time, but this time I chose the menu
option to boot into a shell instead
of installing.

6) Once I was in shell, I was able to mount both the CDROM and the disk on
which I was installing at separate
mount points and manually copy the kernel:

mount /dev/sd0a  /mnt
mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a  /mnt2
gunzip -c /mnt2/sparc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz > /mnt/netbsd.GENERIC

7) I was then able to reboot from sd0a and all was fine with the installation.

You probably don't really need to boot a second time to copy the
kernel.  There is an option in the install menu that lets
you branch into a shell after unpacking the install sets.

Hope this helps!
Paul H.