Subject: Re: smp for ss10
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/09/2003 23:34:57
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:57:57PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:20:42AM -0500, David Maxwell wrote:
>    >
>    > At that point, you'll be on 1.6 userland and -current kernel, so some
>    > utils like top and ps may not behave well, but you should be able to get
>    > a sense of whether the system boots and runs both CPUs.
>    >

>    Just a data point, I have been using a very recent -current kernel
>    with a 1.5.1_alpha userland and top + ps work fine.
>

> right.  simonb fixed top & ps (process grovellers) to use well-defined,
> forwards-compatible sysctl()'s to get process info.  i can even run a
> 32 bit sparc top or ps binary under netbsd32 emulation on a sparc64 box
> and get sane results.
>
> if this does not work, it's a bug to be fixed.

Excellent. I didn't know he had allowed for multiple cpus too - but
looking at top's commit logs, I see that it was all ready to go.

Of course, you'll still want a -current userland so that you get native
libpthread, and an up to date ps to support that.

P.S. Note that I did say 'may not' ;-)

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown