Subject: Re: Current GENERIC kernel to big
To: Olev <olev.hannula@mail.ee>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/2003 15:48:01
>David Brownlee wrote:
>> 	Just to check - are you setting CFLAGS or similar? (Or anything
>> 	else that mihgt cause -O2 to be dropped from the compiler flags)

>I usually use ./build.sh -m sparc and then the directories and release.
>Today the generic kernel was too big.

Sure, but its a known problem that if you have something in mk.conf
that causes -O2 to be dropped from the kernel compile you will
produce a kernel that is too big.

Try rm'ing init_main.o or something and re-run build.sh -m sparc etc
and confirm that -O2 was included in the compiler args.  If not
take a look at mk.conf.  FWIW I have (on the i386 I use to build sparc):

.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sparc"
DEFCOPTS=-O2 -msupersparc
.endif

which works for -current but not 1.6 - but 1.6 doesn't support a simple
build a kernel arg to build.sh so I build those on the sparc box itself.

--sjg