Subject: 1.6STABLE boot floppies?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/26/2003 23:18:27
Hi,

booting a sparcstation 2 from 1.6STABLE boot floppies that I got from
releng.netbsd.org, I get the following from the second disk:

[...]

Installation medium to load the additional utilities from: 3

Ejecting floppy disk
fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0
fd0: controller status: state 7 (st0 40<abnrml> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0 head 0
sec 1)
Remove the boot disk from the floppy station and insert the second disk of
the floppy installation set into the disk drive.

The question below allows you to specify the device name of the floppy
drive.  Usually, the default device will do just fine.
Floppy device to load the installation utilities from [/dev/rfd0a]:
Extracting installation utilities...
tar: Invalid header, starting valid header search.
gzip: failed gzclose: Undefined error: 0
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached

ATTENTION! tar archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 2
Input archive name or "." to quit tar.
Archive name >

-- why does the disk2 image not have the full floppy disk size? Are those
boot floppies intended to work? What does the floppy driver attempt tor
read from the floppy that it is just about to eject? Questions...

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email