Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2002 15:51:27
[ On Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 10:22:36 (+0900), henry nelson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
>
> I need reliability above all (apache, sendmail and bind).  Should I
> just upgrade to 1.5.3, and then leave them alone, or is 1.6-STABLE just
> as reliable _on these machines_?  They HAVE to run for 5 months minimum,
> preferably for one year, with ZERO maintenance.  (So far apache and
> sendmail are meeting the demands flawlessly; bind occasionally dies for
> reasons unknown.)

Hmmmm.... if you're running the stock 'named' from 1.5.3 then I believe
that may be your problem.  You need to be running BIND-8.3.3 at minimum
to avoid some potential security problems.  It's possible that the
'named' failures are actually intrusion attempts.  It's also possible
they're just more BIND bugs too -- named from 8.3.3 dies on my 1.3.2
sparc more often than I'd like, though other stuff dies there too,
presumably because of libc bugs that I've got to fix by upgrading to
1.6.x myself.

--
								Greg A. Woods