Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2002 10:22:36
Really sorry to bother you guys, but what was the URL to the page
that had a conversion table from names like "IPX" and "IPC" that
are used on this list, and the "model number" and/or "service code"
that you see when you flip the machine over?  I've got three model
number "47" or "47B", service code "4/40", machines running 1.5.0.

I've been holding off on upgrading to 1.6 because I was frightened off
by the "sun ipc's and netbsd 1.6" thread which I don't understand.

I need reliability above all (apache, sendmail and bind).  Should I
just upgrade to 1.5.3, and then leave them alone, or is 1.6-STABLE just
as reliable _on these machines_?  They HAVE to run for 5 months minimum,
preferably for one year, with ZERO maintenance.  (So far apache and
sendmail are meeting the demands flawlessly; bind occasionally dies for
reasons unknown.)

I really appreciate the advice.  Thanks much.

henry nelson

P.S.  The home SS5 with the "hot" Seagate drives is working out well.
Thanks for everyone's opinion on that.  I decided that it was best to put
only one of the drives in the box itself, so that the heat had "free space"
to dissipate into.  By a real stroke of luck I was able to pick up a good-
looking 4GB external drive for an excellent price, so I ended up with 6GB
total, rather than the 4GB I was originally aiming for.  The whole thing
is a bit noisy and warm, but it't not bad in the downstairs closet.