Subject: pkgsrc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Grillet <andrew@grillet.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/19/2002 11:59:52

Am I alone in thinking that pkgsrc is a fine concept, but in need of
being partitioned.

As an owner of older Sparcs, with limited size HDs, I for one would like
to see pkgsrc split into at least two, and perhaps 3  -

textmode apps that will run on almost all architectures

apps that require X - since they are normally large and
require fast hardware (compared to a 25MHx ipc. anyway).
Maybe this aught to be "require graphics mode".

apps that are really only x86 - or PCI or something else
that effectively rules out operation on the majority of architectures.

I would also like to see a global flag HAS_AUDIO in make.conf
such that if it is not set, apps like KDE do not include masses
of dependencies on audio software. None of my PCs have
working audio, and I cant see this being fixed in the forseable
future.  The audio in my Suns may work, but I have never tried it!
I see no need need for audio on Firewalls, fileservers,
nameservers or any computer used in a work environment.

I bet some people would also like to see a flag HAS_PORN
to be used in a similar manner! (But maybe there is a use for
porn in the workplace - eg if you work for a porn website!)

Andrew