Subject: X11 on V8 CPU
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf-200210@steinba.ch>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/2002 22:21:43
Hi,

what is the recommended way to build X11 optimized for V8?
The build procedure seems to ignore the compiler flags settings
in /etc/mk.conf -- neither .include /usr/pkg/share/mk/cpuflags.mk
nor CFLAGS=... seem to have an effect.

Should I set the BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS environment variable
before make build? Is building with other than the default
compiler flags recommeded at all?

Another point: is it possible to leave out drivers for frame
buffers which are not present on the machine? If so, what
should I do to compile an X server suitable for the p9100
(sparc book)? Should I use xfree rather than xc?

(All on a NetBSD1.6 system with netbsd-1-6-RELEASE src and
xsrc.)

Kind regards
    Ingolf