Subject: Re: POSIX threads & NetBSD 1.6?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/15/2002 21:05:32
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 12:05 AM +0200 2002/10/16, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>
> >  linker doesn't stick it automatically, you need to add them to Makefile.
> >  either with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (-I/usr/pkg/include and -L/usr/pkg/lib
> >  respectively or even -R/usr/pkg/lib to hardcode this search path into
> >  the binaries as pkgsrc does.
>
> 	As I thought.
>
> >                                see ld(1) and gcc(1) manpages for more
> >  details) to the environment on command line for make or configure
> >  commands or by patching Makefile or configure directly.
>
> 	Right, but this means that NetBSD has effectively closed itself
> to anything that is not inherently NetBSD-aware, or for which there
> is not a NetBSD package/port.  At least, there's an extra step that's
> involved here that people will tend to stumble over.

I think you're missing something here.  /usr/local/include is _not_
normally included and headers in there need -I/usr/local/include just like
things installed in /usr/pkg/include.  Also /usr/local/lib is _not_
normally included either.  You need -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib just
like you'd need -L/usr/pkg/lib -R/usr/pkg/lib.

And I should point out, this is not unique to netbsd.  You very often
times see 3rd party stuff installed in /opt/local or even /opt/pkgname on
solaris systems.

> 	Anyway, thanks to your advice, I will be resetting LOCALBASE to
> /usr/local, and re-installing everything I've built so far out of
> /usr/pkgsrc.

now you'll need -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib
just like you would on any other system.

-Dan