Subject: RE: sparc classic vs quadra 650
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/2002 14:08:37
At 1:21 PM -0500 10/12/02, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:
[...]
>This computer is a quadra 630, and I tried to install NetBSD on it but it
>doesn't see the harddrive (its IDE) or the NIC. Some told me that I could
>get a second NIC for it but I can't seem to find one for it (this computer
>does not use nubus).
[...]

The 630 should have both a Comm slot (not compatible with the Comm Slot II)
and an LC-PDS slot, both of which can hold ethernet cards.

At one point, Linux/Mac68k had pretty good support for the 630 and a number
of comm-slot and LC-PDS ethernet cards, but the project has essentially
died since then, so you'd be stuck with an old kernel if anything if you
went that route.

I don't recall what the status of NetBSD/Mac68k is with regards to the 630,
but no doubt both projects could use some help.

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada           --           http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/