Subject: Re: Changes between 1.5.3 & 1.6...
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/2002 15:38:31
At 4:18 AM +0200 2002/10/12, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

>  when you are selecting sets in sysinst simply don't mark kern.tgz.

	Okay, I can do that.

>  after you exit sysinst, mount the to-be / filesystem and unpack the
>  desired kernel there.  note that using old sysinst may have some side
>  effects as well.

	How do I get the necessary kern-GENERIC*.tgz, if I'm not using
sysinst?  Is there a standard ftp binary that is used?  If so, can
you give me some hints as to where it lives?  I'll poke around with
"echo *" and "cd" (since there isn't any "ls" available that I've
been able to find), but if you could give me some hints, that would
help.

	Would sysinst leave the to-be root filesystem mounted on /mnt?
Would the appropriate kern-GENERIC*.tgz be extracted at the root
level, or would it go somewhere else?

>  the second option is a bit more complicated.

	Oy.  I think I'll try the sysinst route.

>  another option would be to put some other drive to the machine along
>  with the target drive, boot from the 1.5.2 floppies, dd miniroot
>  filesystem to the other drive and boot from there.

	That'd be nice.  I wish I had another drive I could connect to my
FreeBSD system, so that I could then download the miniroot and dd it
over.

	Unfortunately, my recent external drives (e.g., CD-R/RW,
DVD-R/RW, 40G & 120G external hard drives, etc...) are all USB or
FireWire, and neither of these two machines have the necessary
connectors.

	My older stuff that has SCSI connectors is more weird, like
Iomega Zip & Jaz drives, etc....  I sincerely doubt that NetBSD is
going to support those on a Sun SPARCstation 5 clone.

>  i did even more weird installations.  be creative! :)

	I am trying.  I've got lots of bits and pieces of various
hardware available, but the problem is finding the right mix.  I
consider myself reasonably familiar with FreeBSD, but I'm quite new
to NetBSD, and finding it rather difficult to figure out where things
go, etc....

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>