Subject: Re: SS2 compatibility
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2002 20:39:15
On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:03:46AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:

> I'd say go in and set the appropriate flag in 0xff0000 to disable
> tagged queueing in your kernel (someone please correct me if those
> are not the right flag bits for this).

They are right.

> Have we already broached the subject of having the driver attempt tagged
> queueing commands and automatically disabling TQ if they fail?

In the context of the esp driver?
It is known to fail even with drives that properly do tagged queueing with
other (NetBSD) drivers. And the failure mode is often not failing commands
or big imediate trouble, but silent data corruption.

> How about completely disabling TQ in the GENERIC kernel, with an easy-
> to-find comment pointing out where TQ is disabled (and how to re-enable
> it on a subsequent build)?

Yes, I did that (and requested pullup to 1.6).

Martin