Subject: re: Conflict between audioamd and nell or: how to choose an interrupt
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2002 08:56:47

   The only problem is: how do I choose which of the interrupts it should use?

choose the one not currently used :)

   I currently hard-coded the first one in the sbus attach args.

if in practise this works out to be the non-audioamd interrupt, may as
well just note that in a comment and leave it...

   I wonder if it is worth to make this configurable (via a flags parameter)

possibly...

   or if one option is always preferable. Additionally I noticed this in the
   FAQ:

   There is a conflict between the audioamd device in sun4c and some sun4m
   models and the (nell) device.

   and then it is suggested to use

     options AUDIO_C_HANDLER

   I didn't find any explanation for the kind of conflict and why the fastpath
   handler is needed (or is it disabled?) in this configuration.

   If choosing one over the other interrupt would resolve this conflict, this
   should be taken into account.

the AUDIO_C_HANDLER disables the fast trap for audioamd.  the fast trap
is the conflict - you can only install one fast trap per ipl, but if you
use normal handlers you can chain them etc.

if you can make nell not using ipl 13 then i would hope that audioamd
would be able to work normally again.

thanks for doing this,

.mrg.