Subject: Re: New SCSI drive is offline???
To: Steven Grunza <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/2002 13:25:26
> "Steven Grunza" <steven_grunza@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> Looks to be the power supply in the external disk box sagging under the
> weight of the Cheetah drive.  It wants 2+ Amps at startup....

Not uncommon in many drives.  I have a bunch of 3243's (4G 3.5" FH)
that pull 2.5A (12V) startup (i.e. about 35W total).  I use 60W supplies
in all my external cases (two 3.5" FH or one 5.25" FH drive) and
strap the drives to power up sequentially to maintain a good power
margin.  Operating, I aim for 50% of the supply's capacity
(a pair of 3243's consume 28 - 30W "typical" while operating;
tape drive maxes out at 33W while seeking, etc.)  Heat == Death.

> Turning on the delayed start didn't help...

Good to leave it on, anyway -- unless the extra 6 seconds shaved
off your boot time is *that* critical!  :>

> I'm now looking for a small cheap power supply to replace the current on
in
> the external box...

Jameco has a decent selection in various form factors from about $7 and
up.  Though they are not the cheapest, by far!  I usually just find another
external case and either move the drive(s) to that case or steal the
supply out of it.  <shrug>  Surplus equipment sales can turn them
up for $5 - $10...

Good luck!
--don