Subject: uk keyboard and xmodmap
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/08/2002 13:14:45
have just installed 1.6 on my classic and thought i would finally get around
to getting a proper keymap for my type 5c uk keyboard. i used xkeycaps to
create both a diff xmodmap file and a complete one but i cant get either to
work.

i've put the xmodmap command in my .xinitrc file (before anything else is
started) but it still wont produce anything for the back-slash/pipe key just
to the right of left-shift. i know this key is working because xkeycaps tells
me it is. the only way i can get a pipe character out of this keyboard whilst
in twm is to use alt-gr with the top left key that produces back quotes.

in fact X is set up so that most of the keys work as expected anyway (pound
signs @ etc all in the right place) just an awkward |. is twm imposing its own
keymap? have i put xmodmap in the right place? should xmodmap executed in an
xterm affect that xterm subsequently (it doesnt)?

anyone done this?

GREG

ps i'm guessing that i cant have a uk layout in console mode.