Subject: Re: Any news about old problems?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/06/2002 22:01:15
Martin Husemann said:

>The tagged queueing issue has been verified to be a controller or driver
>problem, not a disk problem. So a quirk table will not help. Very likely
>it is just a driver bug, but it has not yet been found.

I've been poking at /kernel/drv/sd on Solaris 2.6. It does contain the
string: "tagged queueing enabled". However this never shows up in the
boot messages on any of my sparc boxes running Solaris. One of these boxes
is an IPX with 1 Sun drive and multiple IBM Ultra SCSI drives.

This leads me to maybe believe two things:

1. Solaris 2.x and SunOS 4.x do not turn on tagged queueing in the
   ESP100xxx driver on Sun4c boxes.

2. 1, 2, and 4 gig disks with Sun part numbers do not have tagged queueing
   turned on. ( there are also Sun 9 gig disks for sun4m, but I don't
   have any )

This is the 1 gig drive in an IPX running 1.6:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST11200N SUN1.05, 9400> SCSI2 0/direct
 fixed
sd0: 1005 MB, 1872 cyl, 15 head, 73 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2059140 sectors
sd0: sync (248.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (4.032MB/s) transfers

I'm going to be adding a 4 gig Micropolis drive to this box, but I suspect
it doesn't have tagged queueing enabled by default. ( or even supports it )

Before the era of Ultrasparc system, Sun was always very conservative with
their SCSI drivers.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com