Subject: Re: Will NetBSD ever have a real working tape install?????
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/06/2002 21:35:17
On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 10:54:29AM -0400, Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:
> do that last night.  The set of install tapes
> for say 60mb 1/4 inch streamers would be 3
> (base mini-install on tape 1, reset of NetBSD
> on tape 2, and X on tape 3).  It all would just
> barely fit on a TK50 for oldeVAXentoys, and it
> would all fit with X on a 6150 class tape for
> Sparcs.  Sun3 class boxes would still require
> the 3 tape 60mb set.

There are Sun 3 boxes that would require the 3 tape set, but there
are also Sun 3 boxes that wouldn't. My 3/260, for example, will boot
from it's Archive Viper 150 drive just fine the second time I try it.

Now, fun would be going to someplace with a fast connection and
DLT drives for use. It would be really cool to cut a 15 or 20 gig
tape and install NetBSD from that -- pkgsrc and all. You could
probably only do this for newer machines, but that would still
be pretty handy.

I've also been meaning to write a NetBSD version of "copytape" for quite
a while now.
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600