Subject: Re: missing COMPAT_15
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/25/2002 10:03:06
On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:52:01PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <20020924205014.GA1002@antioche.eu.org>
> bouyer@antioche.eu.org wrote:
>
> > > It looks like the COMPAT_15 option is missing in GENERIC for 1.6.
> > > Should this option be in there?  Are my sources somehow out of date?
> >
> > No, it's really missing. Please send-pr.
>
> I think there is no file which has #ifdef COMPAT_15 under src/sys.
> (though it's defflag'ed in conf/files..)

The last discussion I heard on this issue was that no API changes were
made to any system calls between 1.5.x and 1.6 (and normally it's NetBSD
project policy not to make them within a release branch, so future 1.6.x
releases will be the same too)

Since there are no such changes, NetBSD 1.5.x binaries and 1.6 kernels
are inherently compatible and no COMPAT_15 option is needed.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me