Subject: Re: Instruction Access Exception on SS20
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@comcast.net>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/2002 21:53:23
>> What's the size of the various kernels? I've recently hit a problem
>> where the kernel size of GENERIC is fine, but adding IPSEC makes it
>> unbootable and I have to remove other things.
>
>I'll have to check and get back to you. Your comment confirms a suspicion I
>had though.

When I got a Instruction Access Exception error instead of a Data
Exception (or whatever it is when you use -msupersparc) I noticed
that the kernel was huge, and in that instance, removing the
-msupersparc reduced the size of the kernel significantly.

My assumption is that using -msupersparc makes the kernel faster,
but also bloats it to near the breakage point, and small things
can push it over the edge.  (All my kernels have IPSEC in them,
but I clear out all the sun4 and sun4c cruft from my config files,
not to mention the VME bus stuff and antique disk controllers,
etc.)

Jon