Subject: SS1 install problem: can't see HD
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Lim <glim@InfiStar.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/09/2002 14:21:25
Hi all...

Please help if you can.
I have an ancient Sparcstation 1 that I cannot install NetBSD on.
I replaced the 3V lithium cell and gave it a valid address.
Also, I can successfully install Solaris2.6.
Here's the deal: I can boot off the floppies successfully. I get the
prompt asking roughly: installing anything can cause serious data loss,
blah blah.
proceed with install? [n] I answer yes, and I get the Cool! Let's get to
it. (sorry doing this from memory)... Supposedly, I am to be given a
list of devices that I may install to. My list is empty. It never sees
devices. For reference, I also tried OpenBSD, which did the exact same
thing. The only thing I can think of that might be bizarre about this
machine is that it has OpenBoot 1.0 on it. (yes... sunmon-compat? is set
to false). Could someone confirm or deny that OpenBoot might be the cause?
I read somewhere that NetBSD uses functionality from OpenBoot...

Thanks!
-Greg