Subject: Re: Package release issues
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/2002 11:26:54
Greetings!
    Thanks to those folks who replied (off list).

>     I have a pair of applications (developed under NetBSD/SPARC)
> I'd like to release and need some suggestions/guidance.
>     First, suggestions as to relative merits of different licenses.
>     Second, how much effort should I expend to test the packages
> on other NetBSD ports (or, should I just let others stumble across
> any problems that might exist -- given that my available time is limited)?

Based on most of the comments made, it seems my best bet is
either to shortcut the release process and just release a SPARC binary
package and see what -- if any :> -- interest there actually is in these
tools before bothering with the cleanup for a full source release.
Since each of the packages is intended to work with some rather
specific external hardware (PROM programmer, logic analyzer, etc.),
it seems likely that the number of potential users is probably not that
great -- hardly worth the effort of cleaning things up for a "supportable"
source release.

And, some other commitments will delay my porting of the "Unisite
server" to NetBSD -- leaving one of these other packages pretty
useless without it!

Sure would be nice to have an extra 6 or 8 hours in each day...  :-(

--don