Subject: Re: 1.6 on IPC (tagged queuing bug still there)
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/05/2002 16:16:43
[ On Thursday, September 5, 2002 at 12:51:37 (-0700), Matthew Jacob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: 1.6 on IPC (tagged queuing bug still there)
>
> > non-buggy drives on ESP200 (I have several working happily).  Users with
> > buggy drives must deal with their own problems and I don't believe such
> > buggy drives are that common.
>
> No, that's not correct. For the class of machines that the ESP200 is on
> those drives are much more common than newer/better drives.

I still don't believe that.  In my experience the number of different
models of disks with broken tagged queuing, even of that vintage, is
quite small.

Besides as of 1.6 there's support in the SCSIPI mid-layer to register
buggy devices in the scsi_quirk_patterns table, and the esp / ncr53c9x
driver uses that table.

see /usr/src/sys/dev/scsipi/scsiconf.c

Note how few drives are listed with PQUIRK_NOTAG in that table too, and
though I'm sure it is far from authoritative, it's also trivial to update.

Let's not confuse the issues here.

--
								Greg A. Woods