Subject: Re: which would handle nat better
To: Ronald Cotoni <setient@vlaxus.yi.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/02/2002 02:02:20
On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 10:54:00PM -0400, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
> i allready have a nice webserver it is a sun ipx and a p100 i use them for
> services as well as my alpha i honestly have too many machines but that is
> ok.

My favorite quote from "Ghost in the Shell" (on security and stability
of complex systems):

"Any system where all the parts are the same is a system with a fatal
flaw."

My network is all Alpha. I do have other machines around but they
are on for more than a couple days a year - a Sun 3/260 that I
don't think I can afford to run and a pair of Amigas that both
need repair work. So I have a network of four Alphas. Scary.

I'm actually considering buying machines that aren't Alphas but
are still rackmountable just to get some variety. I don't want a
breach on one machine to mean an automatic breach on every other
machine.

Does this sound reasonable to anyone? I'm wondering what sort of
rackmountable 64-bit SPARC gear is available that runs NetBSD. Cheaplike.
I'm not talking raiding dumpsters cheaplike, I'm talking somewhat competitive
with your average trash sold by a cow cheaplike.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"