Subject: Re: cg6 from an ss2 to ss5, ok?
To: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
From: Paul NCC/CS <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/2002 22:34:36
Folks, guess what:(,

this could be coincidence but the ss5 appears to have
fried the cg6.  It was a sunGX frame buffer : 501 1672.

It ran most of the day no problem. Then I went out
of the room, came back and the whole machine was
down. Took me 15 minutes of pulling things apart
to try and work out why it wouldn't even boot any
more!   When the cg6 was removed it booted. The
centre of the main SunGX  chip is a bit browned
and trying to boot with it I noticed it was very hot.
/var/log/messages reported:  (i assume relevant)
Sep  1 19:20:18 lewy /netbsd: NMI: system interrupts:
40000000<VME=0,SBUS=0,ME>
Sep  1 19:20:18 lewy /netbsd: trap type 0x29: pc=0x196b0
npc=0x196b4 psr=4400086<S>
Sep  1 20:24:52 lewy syslogd: restart

I've got a cg3 (my last card!) in it at present and all
is going again.

The cg6 sat in my old ss2 for years with no problem
and then 1 day in the new ss5 and kaboom.

1. It could be just a coincidence that it was about to
go. At the end of it's life etc. What do you think?

2. Or it was the : "arcane incompatibility".

3. Or there is something wrong with my new ss5
that caused this to happen. The previous owner
only ever ran a serial console, I wonder if this was
through necessity, I don't know but I'll have to ask
him.

Can you guys let me know your thoughts on if you
think 1,2,3 or other please. I don't know if it's going
to happen again.

Thanks,
Paul.