Subject: NetBooting problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/2002 03:15:48
Hi all,

My name is Laurent, and I'm new to this ML. I'm
french, so I must appologies for my bad english ;-D

I've just got a Sparc Server 5 w/o any CD-ROM or
floppy disk, so i'm trying to install NetBSD by the
netboot methode.

The server machine is my Ultra 5 Sun workstation under
Solaris 8. This machine has 2 ethernet interfaces :
- hme0 connected to the internet (cable modem)
- hme1 connected to my own network
It act also as a DHCP server for this second network.

The Ultra's name is 'Zeus' and SS5 will be 'ra', with
the IP adress 192.168.0.3 ;-D
Everything is working fine on my own network as I can
connect on my Ultra from my others machines (Amiga,
VAX, PC, ...)

As explanned in the documentation, I have :

- installed sun-rbootd-1.3.2.tar.gz

- in /tftpboot, I have liked
ln -s boot.net C0A80003.SUN4M

- in /export/home/client/root, I have unziped
netbsd.GENERIC and ungtared rootfs.tgz

Following files has been modified/created :

----- /etc/ethers ------
8:0:20:78:6a:89       ra
------------------------

----- /etc/hosts ------
192.168.0.3     ra ra.chez.moi
------------------------

----- /etc/bootparams ------
ra root=Zeus:/export/home/client/root
------------------------

And I have exported the FS using
share -F nfs /export/home

(in fact, this FS is already exported at boot time but
with restricted right).

Then, I have started following deamons :
/usr/local/sbin/sun-rbootd -d -i hme1
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd -d hme 1
/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd -d

and on the SS5, I launch the magic command :
ok> boot net netbsd

It seems rarpd succeed :
# /usr/sbin/in.rarpd -d hme 1
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1]  device hme1 ethernetaddress
8:0:20:96:25:bc
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1]  device hme1 address
192.168.0.1
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1]  device hme1 subnet mask
255.255.255.0
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[5]  starting rarp service on
device hme1 address 8:0:20:96:25:bc
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[5]  RARP_REQUEST for
8:0:20:78:6a:89
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[5]  trying physical netnum
192.168.0.0 mask ffffff00
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[5]  good lookup, maps to
192.168.0.3
/usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[5]  immediate reply sent

But nothing after :-(
Nothing on the SS console,
Nothing displayed by rpc.bootparamd or sun-rbootd :-(

So ... any tips are welcome ;-D

Bye

Lolo

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.