Subject: Re: scsi id trouble
To: Paul NCC/CS <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@ewranglers.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/31/2002 05:58:22
---In message <3D708FB6.E48B6B7C@bom.gov.au>

>I have a seagate ST34572WC disk with an "SCA"
>adapter, which I haven't seen before but it looks
>like it provides the power to the disk as well as the
>scsi connection, anyway,

Yes, it provides power to the disk. The SCA spec/interface has some other
cool aspects, such as being hot-swapable without fear of toastedness. And
it also typically determines the SCSI ID.

See this page:

http://docs.sun.com/?p=/doc/801-6396-11/6i0pbk27d&a=view

...for a description of the internal storage specs of a SPARC-5.

 I do not believe there is a way to circumvent the preset SCSI ID in the
SPARC-5. (Or most Sun SCA configs) You'll probably have to change at least
some of the IDs of the external devices.  But do keep in mind before you
start tweaking IDs that BSD kernels assign the drive identifiers
(E.g. "sd0") based order of discovery, and that order is very dependent
upon the drives' SCSI IDs.

Johan van Zanten		   \ "And so once again we find that the evil
System Wrangler			    \  of the past seeps into the present,
Tumbleweed Electron Wranglers, Inc.  \  like salad dressing through
				      \  cheap waxed paper." - The Tick