Subject: Re: cg6 from an ss2 to ss5, ok?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, pts@bom.gov.au>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/30/2002 18:27:40
>> Or rather, "almost certainly"; there may be some arcane
>> incompatibility lurking, though I have no idea what it could be.

> to my knowledge the cg6 will work in any SBus machine, end of
> sentence.  there is an "arcane incompatibility" with some cards,
> specifically, when i tried to put a FDDI board in my sparc5, [...]
> but as far as i know, there is no such incompatibility with cg6
> cards.

Well, I've seen a slight incompatibility with cg6s.  However, it wasn't
an "it doesn't work" incompatibility, which I why I didn't consider it
"anything of the sort".

Specifically, one (or maybe two?) of my cg6s, in certain of my
machines, don't get entirely initialized by the boot PROMs:
RASTERCONSOLE scrolling didn't work until I ran something that knews
cg6s enough to do a reinit of the hardware.  (In my case, this was
usually the X server.)

The cg6 in question was probably the oldest of the ones I have; I'm
sure it was one of the two-slot ones.  I don't recall whether the
problem existed in all of my machines or just some.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign