Subject: cannot su to root (no, not the wheel issue)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/24/2002 14:23:55
ok, so i've gotten NetBSD-current setup on a SPARCstation 20 with a single
150Mhz HyperSPARC CPU.  sysinst just didn't work, so i gave up and did a
"manual" install, which i've done a million times before, on all sorta of
machines (from sparc to vax to pmax) and have never had any trouble.

this time however, i can't su to root.

  $ su - root
  Password:
  Sorry

i *know* i'm using the right password, since i can login as root on the console
without any problem.

  $ uname -a
  NetBSD happy 1.6E NetBSD 1.6E (HAPPY) #6: Thu Aug  8 21:44:27 UTC
  2002     wonko@happy:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/HAPPY sparc

does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  i don't even know where to start
looking since i've never had this happen to me before.

cheers!!

-brian
--
she manipulates my language			|
the scion of a cunning goddess			| Fridge