Subject: Re: Large disks on an IPX?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/24/2002 00:20:33
>> Was the disk sold as intended for use on a Sun - or, if it wasn't
>> new, did it come from a Sun?  (That is, did it come with a Sun label
>> on it?)
> Ya know, I'm having similar difficulties with a 4GB SCSI Drive.  It
> didn't occur to me that there might be "Sun specific" SCIS drives.

In my experience, there aren't.  But if there's already a Sun-style
label on it, and it doesn't match the actual drive reasonably closely,
that can cause various problems.  Hence my questions asking about
whether the drive was likely to already have a Sun label on it.

IIRC, the thread that started this off is the one where I corresponded
with the poster off-list and we determined that the disk had 1K
sectors, which is much more likely to be the problem in that case.

> Also, I was wondering if I ought to set the bit value to anything in
> specific.

"the bit value"?  I have no idea what that is.

> Currently, its set to "7" (same as another drive on a workingsun4c
> box).

Then that's _probably_ an ok value to use.

> Lastly, I'm assuming onboard termination should be enabled, right?

Maybe.  This depends entirely on how you have the drive installed,
whether you have other drives, what order they're in, where you have
separate terminators installed, etc.  (Basically, the bus needs to be
terminated twice, once at each end.  I have seen SCSI mostly-work when
terminated only once, or three times, and I think even once on a bus
"terminated" at four spots, but such setups have always been flaky at
best.  Normally there is termination built into the machine, so you
need to add one termination at the far end of the chain.  If you have
no external drives, things get more complicated, and probably less
critical because the bus is then so short....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign