Subject: Re: Large disks on an IPX?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/23/2002 15:41:13
On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, der Mouse wrote:

# > Also, I was wondering if I ought to set the bit value to anything in
# > specific.
#
# "the bit value"?  I have no idea what that is.
#
# > Currently, its set to "7" (same as another drive on a workingsun4c
# > box).
#
# Then that's _probably_ an ok value to use.

[ you're not talking about the SCSI ID here, I hope! ]

# > Lastly, I'm assuming onboard termination should be enabled, right?
#
# Maybe.  This depends entirely on how you have the drive installed,
# whether you have other drives, what order they're in, where you have
# separate terminators installed, etc.  (Basically, the bus needs to be
# terminated twice, once at each end.  I have seen SCSI mostly-work when
# terminated only once, or three times, and I think even once on a bus
# "terminated" at four spots, but such setups have always been flaky at
# best.  Normally there is termination built into the machine, so you
# need to add one termination at the far end of the chain.  If you have
# no external drives, things get more complicated, and probably less
# critical because the bus is then so short....)

I seem to recall needing to place an actual terminator on the back of the
bus on the machine in order for things to work; IIRC it was even one of
the "active" types (with the little green light in it).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Are you old enough to run it?