Subject: Re: 1.6RC1 has some install problems....
To: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/20/2002 19:05:41
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 @ 11:24am (-0700), Dr. John Refling wrote:

DJR> I am doing a fresh install via the serial console which is perhaps
DJR> why others have not seen these two problems:
DJR>
DJR> First, sysinst does not ask if you want to use the GENERIC or the
DJR> GENRIC_SCSI3 arrangements, thus /netbsd is left as a symbolic link
DJR> pointing to nowhere (well, to netbsd_GENERIC, which is never
DJR> extracted).  The system as installed is unbootable.  One must manually
DJR> extract kern-GENERIC.tgz (or netbsd_GENERIC.gz).

cool...thanks, i mentioned this in a post but no one responded.  i'll check
to the src to sysinst on sparc later tonight after the moon comes up >:}.
it's there but not enabled by default. strangeness.  insanity.

it's like someone assumes you're going to 'custom' instead of 'select
componets'

l8r
-lava

DJR> The sparc is different from other architectures in that it has this
DJR> choice to make... does sysinst on the sparc handle this???
DJR>
DJR> Second, choosing vt100 as the terminal type causes a core dump in
DJR> sysinst about 50% of the time.  It will work say 10 times in a row,
DJR> then fail 10 times in a row.  Choosing vt52 worked, although I have
DJR> not tried that 10 times to see if there is a failure.  Memory tests
DJR> OK on the machine.
DJR>
DJR> I have submitted a problem report on the a while ago... PR/17522

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973