Subject: 1.6RC1 has some install problems....
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/20/2002 11:24:26
I am doing a fresh install via the serial console which is perhaps
why others have not seen these two problems:

First, sysinst does not ask if you want to use the GENERIC or the
GENRIC_SCSI3 arrangements, thus /netbsd is left as a symbolic link
pointing to nowhere (well, to netbsd_GENERIC, which is never
extracted).  The system as installed is unbootable.  One must manually
extract kern-GENERIC.tgz (or netbsd_GENERIC.gz).

The sparc is different from other architectures in that it has this
choice to make... does sysinst on the sparc handle this???

Second, choosing vt100 as the terminal type causes a core dump in
sysinst about 50% of the time.  It will work say 10 times in a row,
then fail 10 times in a row.  Choosing vt52 worked, although I have
not tried that 10 times to see if there is a failure.  Memory tests
OK on the machine.

I have submitted a problem report on the a while ago... PR/17522